Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Mediterranean-infused baking break.

On no, I still love cakes. But I thought that it was about time I fed myself something other than sugar. And what better detoxifying food than tomato? Tomato is known for its amazing anti-oxidant capabilities. And I'm still coming to terms with the fact that it's actually a fruit. And so, tonight I made tomato bruschetta and roasted capsicum with tomato, olive, and tofu. Yes, that tofu does seem a bit odd in the rest of the Mediterranean set-up doesn't it? But trust me, it's goood.

The bruschetta was very simple to make and the best part is that you don't even need to cook anything. Except for the baguette.. which can be toasted.


Tomato Bruschetta
Ingredients: 
1 French baguette
3 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsps dried oregano
1/3 cup fresh basil
2-4 tbsps olive oil.
1tbsp pine nuts

Cut the baguette into even slices and place in a toaster or grill pan until crisp.
Mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
Arrange the baguette slices on a platter and spoon equal, generous amounts of the tomato mixture on top of each slice.

Me attempting to create abstract art with balsamic vinegar...
Now is that easy or what?

*

Roasted capsicum with tomato, olive, and tofu


Ingredients:
2 red capsicums, cut in half and deseeded
1/3 cup sliced black olives
2tsps dried oregano
2tsps dried coriander
2tsps dried chives
1/4 cup tomato paste
2tbsp olive oil 
2 cloves garlic, chopped
100g tofu, cut in cubes
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half


Place the halved capsicums on a baking tray lined with foil and roast in the oven at 200C for 10 minutes.
Place the olives, oregano, coriander, chives, tomato paste, olive oil, and garlic in a food processor and blend until a thick paste is formed. Be careful not to blend the olives completely.
In a large bowl, mix together the olive and tomato mixture with the cherry tomatoes and chopped tofu.
Spoon equal amounts of the combined mixture into the capsicums and place in the oven at 180C for 15 minutes. Enjoy warm.





5 comments:

  1. Oooh those Caps look tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all us food bloggers are going through a healthy and tomatoey phase. Looks very juicy Sid :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize tomatoes had those health benefits. I've always loved the way it tasted. This recipe looks so good - healthy and tasty. I love basil with tomato.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bruschetta and the home-made ones are definitely more delicious! thanks for ur visit on my blog, I've to say though it's the first time I've heard of that idea - but I might (?) try it out sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love bruschetta for its simplicity! also like mine topped with some olives for that saltiness, and also like getting fancy sometimes and sauteeing mushrooms to top over (: dont know if it still qualifies as a bruschetta though!

    http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/06/garlic-bruschetta-with-sauteed-shiitake.html

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!